Followers

Friday, October 21, 2011

Homemade Bagel

I never thought that I can make bagels from my kitchen. One day I was so curious whether or not I am able to make some...So I gave it a try. It's really exciting and challenging for me to do this. But I truly had an awesome time doing it. My first attempt was actually a success...yeyyy!!! Here is the recipe that I have developed from my kitchen. When making these, you should think of FUN!! Awesome...

Recipe:
2 Cups bread flour
1 tablespoon honey (can be substitute with Sugar)
3/4 teaspoon of salt
1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon instant yeast
3/4cup of  water

Bottom:
corn flour

Topping:
1 egg whisked + 1 tablespoon of water
powder garlic
sesame seeds
poppy seeds
cinnamon

I usually make the dough using the bread maker machine. Investing in the machine is really worth it... I don't know how much I can express this, but it's really true. With the bread machine I use the setting dough, basically it'll do the mixing, kneading and rising (because the warm temp inside the machine). However you can also mix and kneading by hands.
Next, when the dough has doubled in size, you can start shaping it. First shape it like ball size and with your index finger, make a hole in the middle, you can make the hole bigger using your other index finger and start twirling dough with both index fingers. You'll see the hole will become bigger.
Let it rise, put it in a warm place. It should double in size.
When the bagels have risen, on a pot with boiled water, boil the bagels each sides for 1min. (it should be floating)

Next, take out the bagel out from the pot (try to drain as much water as possible) and dip the bottom into the corn flour and then place it in the baking sheet. Spread baking sheet with vegetable oil.

Next spread egg whisked + water on the top of the bagels and put the topping (whatever flavor you like.)
Bake it for 15mins (depending on your oven)  in a 425F

Happy Baking :)

2 comments:

  1. They are not perfect like you'd find on the store...but they sure are taste good. :)

    ReplyDelete