Followers

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Homemade Fresh Rice noodle


I like all kinds of noodles but my #1 favorite is rice noodle. So I have been trying to make my own fresh rice noodle because they don't sell it in San Antonio, TX. When I was living in D.C. there was a Thai supermarket that sells it. Unfortunately I just can't find anywhere in here... it's sucks right?? My only solution is to do my own fresh rice noodle. The first attempt was a disaster..!!! Man, I was going nuts. Every time I made it, they were just too soft and gooey. It was too sticky, I can't even take it off of the Pyrex pie. So I knew something was wrong about the mixture. After so many failure attempt on that day, I decided to give up. Maybe I need to do more research before experimenting. I knew the mixture was wrong, at the time I was using sweet rice flour. After further research about different kinds of flour out there. Man... my mind was going insane! I found out that there were too kinds of rice flours. There were sweet rice flour which has more starch than a regular rice flour. So, there goes my problem... So, the other day I had bought my plain rice flour and I had so much confident that this time it was going to go well. My first attempt, I had the same problem. The noodle was again too soft. I was like battling with the mixture...goshh you had no idea! I was using 3 different kinds of flours which were rice, corn and tapioca. I was in the kitchen for hours trying to adjust the right measurement. At the end I finally think I had the right measurement of each flours. I was using two kinds of pie pans for steaming which were Pyrex and regular pie pan. The pyrex didn't work out so well with my mixture. The end result was still a little bit gooey however the pie pan worked out very well. Finally my mixture came out to how I wanted it...pheww
I guess this is what I love about cooking and baking... it's all about the excitement.


My recipe mixture:


1 cup of rice flour
2 tablespoon of corn starch
1 tablespoon of tapioca starch
1 1/2 cups of water
1/2 teaspoon of salt
a tablespoon of vegetable oil

First mix all the ingredients together.
Let it sit for 15mins
using a pie pan, spread some oil
steam it for 6mins
When taking the noodle out, use a plastic spatula and rub it oil prior.


You can make all different kinds of noodles such as pad khee mao, pad see ew, kwetiau, and etc.
I'll give you my recipe on my next blog...stay tune!!


Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment